Program: It is a sequence of instructions, written to perform a specific task with a computer.
Programming: It is a process that leads from an original formulation of a computing problem to executable program.
High Level Language -> (Compiler/Interpreter) -> Assembly Language -> (Assembler) -> Machine Language
High Level Language:
- Easier to learn
- English like statements
Assembly Level Language:
- Symbolic operation code to represent the machine operation code
Machine Language / Low Level Language:
- Fundamental language of computer's processor
- Combination of 0's and 1's which representing high and low electrical voltages
Compiler: Programs that translate source code from a high-level programming language to a lower level language.
- Example: C, C++, COBOL, Fortran etc. uses compiler.
Interpreter: Programs that directly execute instructions written in a programming language, without previously batch-compiling them into machine language.
- Example: BASIC, Perl, Python etc. uses interpreter.